Friday, March 18, 2011

Back From The Jungle

I wish I could bring back the sounds and smells of the jungle. A waft of some delicious smelling, tropical flower as you float down the river in a canoe. The smell of lush vegetation, decaying wood, 100% humidity- the taste of water in the air. Rain. Light sprinkles and heavy bone-drenching downpours. Huge leaves falling from the canopy and crashing down to the forest floor. Birds, insects, frogs; calling, chirping, buzzing, swooping- how I wish I knew their names and faces. Wondering what all the commotion is about. Is there danger? Are they calling for a mate or are they just feeling chatty?

And then there´s the people. The natives. The Huaorani/Waorani. Such a beautiful people. Such a beautiful, simple life they live there deep in the jungle. I don´t even know where to begin with the story of this adventure into the rainforest to visit a Wao community. So, I suppose what I´ll do is write what I jotted down in my journal and we´ll go day by day, pictures included. But for now I´ll leave you with just a taste....Enjoy and namaste! :)


The canoe ride into the jungle.


Where we are....


Where we´re going....


Inside the Ecuadorian Amazon


Huaorani Territory


After a VERY long ride up the river....our final destination. :)


River entrance to the lodge.


Welcome to the Amazon!


Huao Ecolodge


Mmmmm muddy muddy rainforest.

No comments:

Post a Comment