Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When to stop looking and let things find you....

People keep telling me that hope that I find what I´m looking for- and I can´t help but scrunch my nose at the thought of looking for something...Searching. I learned long ago not to seach for things, because I never find them. Only when I´m not looking do I find things, people, places etc. And here I am romping around Ecuador and Peru with nothing in mind but to be. To let the road take me where it will and find whatever, or whomever I may find. Lessons to be learned from it all. The only thing I need to do is be open to it all. Make my own interpretations and sew it altogether. My patchwork quilt of knowledge acquired along the road. Indeed there is a pattern- but the fine details are still working themselves out in the form of this environmental education project....

However in discussing this with my dear friend Selena (a new and lifelong friend I met along the road), she shared this quote with me and so I figured I shall pass it along.

¨When someone is seeking....it happens quite easily that he only sees the thing that he is seeking; that he is unable to find anything, unable to absorb anything because he is only thinking of the thing he is seeking, because he has a goal, because he is obsessed with his goal. Seeking means: to have a goal, but finding means: to be free, to be receptive, to have no goal.¨

From Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

 I won´t say that I have no goal, though. My goal is simply to be free and receptive, to absorb as much as I humanly can along this journey. And along my way meaning will find me, as long as I don´t go looking for it......

No comments:

Post a Comment